Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The princess Walleda

The Princess Walleda

Yes, I have remembered you with longing at Al-Zahra, when the horizon was bright and the face of the earth gave pleasure, and the breeze was soft in the late afternoon as if it had pity on me.

The garden was shining with its waters of silver, as if necklaces had been cast into it from breasts.

It was a day like the days of our pleasures which have now left us.

We passed the night like thieves stealing that pleasure while fortune slept...

A rose shone in its bed exposed to the sun, and the noonday grew more radiant at the sight of it; a water-lily passed spreading its fragrance, a sleeper whose eyes have been opened by the dawn...

My most precious, most brilliant, most beloved possession - if lovers can have possessions - would not compensate for the purity of our love, in the time we wandered free in the garden of love. Now I thank God for my time with you; you have found consolation for it, but I have remained a lover.

Ibn Zaydun (1003-71)
Andalusia

No comments:

Post a Comment